The Brenton Arboretum’s mission is to inspire joy through the beauty and knowledge of the natural world of trees.
The Brenton Arboretum is offering a summer horticulture internship to students interested in gaining practical experience in an arboretum/nature park setting. This will be the first summer internship offered by The Brenton Arboretum and as such will be a wonderful opportunity to blaze a trail as we craft this program. This intern will work with arboretum staff in various capacities to plant and maintain the arboretum landscape to the highest horticultural standards. Training will be provided in skills including watering, weeding, planting, pruning, mulching, nursery & propagation work, plant identification, integrated pest management, small-engine equipment use and maintenance, native plant conservation, and the restoration & maintenance of native prairie and woodlands.
• Current enrollment in high-school, community college, or university with either a declared major or a strong desire to pursue a career in horticulture, arboriculture, botany, ecology, conservation, or related field.
• The ability to work independently and as a team or after instruction in specific tasks or duties.
• Must enjoy physical work in an outdoor setting all day (with breaks), every day, throughout the summer.
• The ability to safely lift, push, or pull up to 40 pounds and work on your feet all day.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to and from work.
• Ability to operate various small-engine equipment, trucks, and ATVs with training.
• This is a paid internship ($11/hour up to 500 hours (approximately 12.5 weeks)) with flexible beginning and ending dates dependent on the applicant’s school schedule.
• Hours are Monday through Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, with the potential for flexibility around vacation schedules or other obligations.
• Some early, late, or weekend work opportunities may be offered.
Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers